28 August 2009

I am stealth. In my robe, I come down the stairs and put on my slippers. The house is dark, shades drawn, the sun peeking through the cracks trying to break and enter and bring the morning. Cannot wake the children. Just a few minutes of quiet. Coffee is my god and I go to the pot and grinder for my morning worship session. Then I tiptoe into the dining room. The scene of battle from dinner still evident in the shadows. My slippered foot comes down on a foreign object and I instantly spring into reflexive action, drawing my foot back quickly and inspecting the land mine. A cheerio. Now I know my enemy is out here, waiting to explode if I make a wrong move. I continue around the table ever so cautiously, feeling the mines as my foot touches them and springing back each time. KA-BOOM. Well, you win some, you lose some. Bring in the broom to sweep up casualties. The losses were significant, but there were a few unbroken survivors, and I consider it a victorious morning.

7 comments:

Mandi said...

:-) Way to go, Warrior Shin.

emily said...

Too funny that we're experiencing the casualties of war with the same enemy. Sigh, how many times can one sweep in a day?

Christina said...

total riot!!! At least you handle it with creativity and with war-like action, I just get annoyed and don't let them cereal for a couple of days...

angie said...

You're hilarious!

Evelyn & Floyd said...

i'm also imagining this replayed with corn kernels... ew.
or one of my worst peeves, the squashed individual grains of rice underfoot.
you are too cute tootie.

Tootie said...

Oh, rice is a very bad offender. I'd take cheerios any day over those insurgent bastard rice kernels.

Molly said...

have you fed your kids couscous? why did i think that was a good idea?

you need traveller back...dogs are great vacuums.