I just got back from a business trip to Boston. Doesn't that sound glamorous? Especially for moms who are at home all the time. And, there were some perks. Like traveling alone. Yes, ALONE! It is sooooo easy to leave on a jet plane when you haven't got to think about the little one's needs (real and imagined) for an entire day. And not having to do dishes or cook or laundry, and getting to eat out. But, really, I came home exhausted. Wednesday I spent 9 1/2 hrs in airplanes or airports, then I had to wrap that up with about 45 minutes in the car and 4 hours of company blah blahs. You know, lots of small talk with people I 'work with' but have never actually met plus a pep talk over dinner that was called a meeting. Thursday another 9 hours of meetings followed by a nice dinner with my friends at the company followed by an inability to fall asleep until 2 am. Only to rise at 6 am for another 11 hours of travel. Whew. I was actually enjoying the 5 loads of laundry I did today to get caught back up. And dishes, and even dealing with my very whiney son. I just missed him SO much and know that any day I get to spend with him is such a blessing. Even if he doesn't think so. :)
And one more note. Boston people have got great attitudes. No, really. And their accents are so fun to listen to. For a Southern girl who was raised in an environment made to think all Yankees are mean, I enjoyed hearing their take on life. They tell you all the flaws about living in Boston (awful winters, gray skies, crowded, traffic, high cost of living, loads of taxes. . . ), but they still LOVE it. They don't leave! I kept asking all kinds of random questions just so I could keep them talking. I could never begin to imitate a boston accent, but I love that it is unique and alive and that our country is full of such diversity. Melting pot, shmelting pot. If you've got an accent, don't let it die!
2 comments:
ahh, that's why i lay on the southern drawl as thick as possible sometimes. It may sound uneducated, but really it's endearing.
loved your take on the company annual meeting too... good useage of the "blah blahs"
hi shin
Yes I remember those days in Boston..you did come to visit us there and you obviously dont remember -you were about 10ish. Infact we watched BIG with tom hanks!!
Anyway I know those trips-I used to go to New York from Boston for day trips and then for 1 week trips on a regular basis about 2x per month. OH so tiring!! I would never have left Boston if I could have helped it. I never loved anywhere as much as there! Wish i could go back. Glad you enjoyed, love Aunt Ruth
Post a Comment